Sunday, August 3, 2008

Split Rimmed Pots








I was inspired recently after watching a 'how-to' video on how to make a vase with a split rim. I decided to do it as a class demonstration and the results were impressive. I don't have pictures of the actual process, but here are pictures of the finished vases. The trick when your making these is to leave extra clay at the rim. Also, when you make the grooves in the rim before you pinch the clay together, use a pencil point. It makes the perfect spacing between the grooves. I'd love to work on this technique and do something really unique with it. I have a few ideas and maybe I'll post something one day.....

2 comments:

mimi said...

Hi,Thank you for the Tel messege. I'll call Roger.

Graciela Testa Lynt said...

Hi Barbara... I love the split rims. I especially like the little "buttons" you've put on them.

I took a class w/ Lee Rexrode at Arrowmont a long time ago and he used to split the rim and then continue to throw the inside rim so the end result was that it looked like one pot inside another. It was pretty cool, but I've never tried to do it.